Thanks to Internet & Social Media, we now know a lot of “days” around the world. Most of these days are declared by United Nations. World Food Day on 16th October every year is in honor of foundation of Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations.
Seems like all these days come and go, after a lot of tweets and posts, but we can make them a point of awareness to bring a change in ourselves.
Two Commitments to take this year on World Food Day
- Never waste Food. Eat what you take
- Shift to Vegetarian Diet
First one is very obvious and easy to understand. Second one will shake you to ignore it.
First of all, let us see these studies and facts,
- About two-thirds of global warming is due to global meat consumption.
- Raising Meat takes a lot amount of land, water, resources. This is 12 times more land and 15 times more water than agriculture crops.
- 70 percent of grains grown in US are fed to farmed animals. Imagine this much meal for humans.
- 30 percent of Earth’s land is used to rear animals for food.
When you eat non veg diet, YOU are
- A major contributor of global warming
- Exploiting abundance of earth’s resources.
- Eating food of 800 million who sleep hungry every night globally.
If YOU turn Vegetarian from today,
- You save environment for sure.
- You chose Health. Vegetarian Diet is more healthy, easy to digest and more in variety.
- There are more than 5000 dishes in Vegetarian than can be made.
- You save. Yes, its economical. Almost all Veg food costs you way less than meat.
How to start ?
- Take it slow. Reduce it one day at a time
- Explore YouTube for amazing recipes.
- Most Indians are vegetarians and experts in making delicious food.
You are not alone !
List of people who are vegetarians.
- Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook CEO)
- Bill Gates (Microsoft Founder)
- Steve Jobs (Apple Founder)
- Mahatma Gandhi (Indian Leader)
- Narendra Modi (Present Indian Prime Minister)
- Mukesh Ambani (Reliance Chairman)
- Amitabh Bachchan (Indian Actor)
- Albert Einstein (Scientist)
- Isaac Newton (Scientist)
- Bryan Adams (Musician)
- Johnny Depp (Actor)
- Alicia Silverstone (Actor)
- and the list is endless……
Its totally a personal call to shift. No one in the world can compel you to shift. Therefore, in conclusion, I would just like to say that if you care for the upcoming generations and a clean environment for your own health, make a change NOW. Start Slow, Make it BIG.